Travel through the stunning landscape of the mainland Greece learning about the wonderful past of a civilization immortalized in myth. Look out over Athens from the Acropolis before marveling at amazing Meteora, visiting the Oracle at Delphi, and exploring the home of the Olympic games at Olympia.
Price is based per adult in a twin share room*. Single supplement options available.
Pre and post accommodation options are also available.
- Athens – discover one of the world’s oldest cities, from the ancient Acropolis to the modern Panathenaic Stadium
- Olympia – learn about the site of the original Olympics, where the Statue of Zeus – an ancient Wonder of the World – once stood
- Meteora – admire the stunning, UNESCO-listed rock formations and clifftop monasteries
- Peloponnese – cross the rocky peninsula at the heart of Greek history, home to Epidaurus, Mycenae, and the Corinth Canal
- Delphi – follow the Sacred Way in the footsteps of pilgrims who sought the oracle’s advice at this holy sanctuary
- Thermopylae – relive the Spartans’ famous last stand against the Persians on this narrow pass
- 6 nights 4 star hotels
- One arrival transfer on Day 1 and One departure transfer on Day 7 included per booking
- Entrance fees for all included sites
- All transfers and transportation in modern air conditioned vehicles
- 6 breakfasts and 3 hotel dinners
- Guided sightseeing in Athens, Olympia, Delphi, and Meteora
- Services of an English-speaking tour guide for all scheduled sightseeing
Departs weekly. Dates available from May to October 2019. Please let us know your preferences.
Day 1: Athens
Welcome to Greece and the capital city of Athens. Upon arrival at the airport you’ll be met and transferred to your hotel. You’ll have the rest of the day to discover the city, home to an exquisite architectural history and an equally thriving modern society.
Day 2: Athens City Tour
Today we embark on a coach tour of Greece’s vibrant capital city, named after the goddess Athena and thought to be over 3000 years old. Sights include the Panathenaic Stadium, the only stadium in the world built entirely of marble, and the Temple of Olympian Zeus, which lies at the heart of modern Athens. The highlight of our day is the Acropolis, considered by some to be the most important ancient site in the western world. Here we find masterpieces of classical Greek architecture, including the iconic Parthenon. We also enjoy a guided tour of the Acropolis Museum, recently voted one of the best museums in the world.
Enjoy the afternoon at leisure in Plaka, a historical and picturesque part of the city. Take a stroll through the cobbled streets or relax with a drink at one of the many tavernas in the area. Don’t forget to shop for souvenirs on Ermou Street.
Overnight: Athens | Breakfast
Day 3: The Peloponnese and Mycenae
Overnight: Olympia | Breakfast, Dinner
Day 4: Olympia
Olympia – Delphi. Today we explore the home of the ancient Olympic Games. Situated along the longest river in the Peloponnese, the Alfios, Olympia is a fascinating step back in time to the birth of one of modern days biggest sporting events. Here we will visit the Temple of Zeus, the Palestra and Phidia’s workshop.
Heading north this afternoon, we cross the impressive Rio-Antiro Bridge before heading for our final stop of Delphi.
Overnight: Delphi | Breakfast, Dinner
Day 5: Delphi
Delphi – Kalambaka. The sanctuary at Delphi was revered in antiquity as a center of pilgrimage, home to the Pythian Oracle in the Temple of Apollo. We’ll walk up the Sacred Way, the path followed by ancient visitors through the sanctuary, to see the temple ruins, and visit the local museum, where we’ll find the bronze Charioteer statue and mythical omphalos stone. Afterwards, we cross the mountains of central Greece back to the mainland, arriving in Kalambaka for the evening.
Overnight: Kalambaka | Breakfast, Dinner
Day 6: Meteora
Kalambaka – Athens. This morning we visit Meteora, a stunning World Heritage site where a series of towering rock formations shelter several sacred Eastern Orthodox monasteries. We return to Athens for the night, briefly stopping at Thermopylae, where King Leonidas and 300 Spartans made a famous last stand against the Persians in 480 BC.
Overnight: Athens | Breakfast
Day 7: Athens
Our tour of the wonders of Greece ends today after breakfast, with an included transfer to the airport for your departure flight.
- International flights
- Gratuity for your tour guide. Tipping your tour guide is an entirely personal gesture
- A hotel tax of €3.00 per room per night to be paid directly to the hotel at time of check in. Please budget Euro 18, for the duration of the tour.